Thursday 15 April 2010

A great start to April and live poker trip report

I should start by apologising for the extremely annoyed rants in my last blog. Although I obviously have a very opinionated view of music, it's not my place to bash artists who are out there doing their thing (even if it is completely shit).

April has been really great poker-wise, I'm up about about $8k playing 180 mans on stars. It's not just the winning that feels great, but playing well (while maintaining supernova pace) and being rewarded by running well really helps to get you out of bed in the morning instead of living my usual lazy lifestyle.

On top of that I'm up about £5k playing live poker from 2 visits to the International. The slight sour note is that I came 13th in the Cash Race final for £750 having had the chiplead with 13 left (cue standard JoeJoe tournament blowup story). I did however swap 10% with Mike Piper who won the whole thing for £15k. The Saturday after I decided to play the £150 (or the Guper as I'm christening it) and ended up chopping it heads up for £2.6k.

Despite running really well live over the last two visits, my taste for it was very much spoiled and I don't know if I'll be playing many live tourneys with less than a £300 buyin in the foreseeable future. Firstly, upon my arrival on Saturday a friend told me that someone who I considered at the very least a well wisher had gone around telling people that I had intentionally dumped chips to Mike P in the Cash Race final. Despite how absurd the idea of me dumping my chips to someone who I have 10% of is, it's also a very serious allegation to be making and even entertaining the idea is highly insulting.

The other situation came up at the final table of the Guper (I'm going to keep on calling it the Guper until it sticks by the way), in which I was berated by 4 players for completely nonsensical things. Firstly, when I refused the ridiculous 'let's do a deal for 10th place' notion, 4 middle aged men started having a go at me. The pick of the insults was, 'You look like the sort of person that wouldn't give a starving man food!'. The second instance was from one of these middle aged guys, who seemed to be really upset after I raised 22 in MP1 then called his 8bb HJ shove. Apparently deuces is not a 'calling all in hand'. I tried to calm myself, try my Angelo-Esq breathing exercises, but he kept on berating. Eventually I couldn't help myself and said in my nicest possible voice, 'You know sir, it's very bad business of you to educate the fish. I'd carry on letting me make these terrible mistakes if I were you.' Obviously that didn't stop him, and in retrospect I should have kept my mouth shut, I don't want to be the sort of person who takes satisfaction from making someone else look a fool.

The fact that they didn't let their points go and kept on having a go really irked me but I've learned in my 5 years of poker to deal with the fact that people cannot think logically when it comes to money. However unpleasant the situation was, it truly means that if I want to, I'll be able to make a living from these kinds of people for the rest of my days.

Life is pretty great away from poker at the moment. I'm moving to Brighton on Monday (I had to push it back a week because I got ill and Hannah offered me a lift) for about 3 months before Vegas. Although I'm really grateful that my parents put me up; or put up with me for so long, I'm really grateful that I am getting out on my own.

I'm probably going to take tomorrow off poker, as I've got Chess with Tautvydas at 5 then Mum is having loads of Lib Dem friends and colleagues over to watch the Prime Minister's debate.

Laters tater
xoxox

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh the beauty of online play, not having to put up with ish berating you. I know exactly where your coming from and it pisses me off to no end. But at the end of the day it's these same people that are the reason your making the effort to get down and play the game anyway. Keep on grinding and good luck with your move!

Fenix35

jm24 said...

to be fair though its prob not the norm that you get berrated in live poker. You can often spot the obnoxious or unpleasant characters and I just tend not to get invovled in interaction with them. Obv there are spots where its unavoidable, but learning to deal with these is an important life skill (not syaing you dont have that JJ).

I had a funny incident in Thanet last year. This guy had something (but actually nothing) to say about everything, and would make regular idiotic comments. One came after he sucked out on someone by squeezing with A9, cracking Aces. I pointed out it would have been better if he'd just be quiet after instead of inadvertantly antagonising the other guy. But he could keep his mouth shut. In the end I just siad to him "there a phrase that applies to you more than anyone else Ive ever met - if you have anything good to say, dont say anything at all."

Unfortunately he went on to win the thing, but, that's poker!

Chimpeeeeeee, PainInDeAss and The_Chimp said...

Fuck them all JoeJoe. You stick to your principles, and that gets respect from me.

Don't let it put you off playing live!