Wednesday 7 December 2011

First term at Uni

Ello ello ello, long time no speak ^.^

In keeping with my life goal of being the world's worst blogger, I've not managed to get anything down for over 4 months now, which is a shame because so much has happened and I'm not particularly sure where to start, but I guess I'll go with university.

To be honest, it's been awesome so far. A good combination of absurdly drunk nights out with loads of really cool new people and challenging work. I really wasn't prepared for the fact that because I had never studied philosophy before, my brain wasn't trained philosophically, nor did I have a lot of the knowledge that the students who studied the subject at A-level have. For the first time I feel like I'm starting to find my feet in the subject; helped by the fact that I got my first essay of the semester back and I got a first (with some extremely generous first year marking I'm sure). Politics has been a lot easier to just get on with and I'm really enjoying getting stuck in to tutorials. I should get the mark for the first essay in Politics soon, but judging by our tutor's remarks about the group in general I'd be ecstatic with a 2-1.

The only society that I joined at uni is Crystal Clear, the DJ society. I've always wanted to learn how to mix and the nights that the society puts on have been excellent for an EDM nutcase such as myself. My friends Amex, Liv and Matt convinced me to finally take the plunge so two days ago I got a Pioneer DDJ-T1 through the post and I don't think I've stopped playing with it since (bye bye degree!). Right now I suck something awful but I'm having loads of fun with it. I did try out for the American Football team but unfortunately half an hour into the tryouts I broke my finger and did some considerable ligament damage to the point it's not even properly healed now. Luckily it's only my pinky!

The poker front has obviously been very empty in the last few months, which makes me very happy in a lot of ways. I was really worrying that I was going to struggle making the transition from professional 40+ hour weeks to stopping almost entirely. When I have played it's either been making a weekly donation to the PCA satellite community or playing the deep PLO50 games on stars (I'm playing this small because I've never consistently beaten a online 6max game before and I'm eager to move my way up through the stakes). Since September I've played about 20k hands and I'm running at the very sustainable 21.49 bb/100, which is conveniently about as much money as I've done off either buying pieces or playing sattys over that time. To be honest I don't even see myself playing too much over Christmas, except the obvious exceptions of the absurd 10th anniversary Sunday, or as I'm calling it: server-crash Sunday.

I won't be playing much over Christmas because there's simply too much to do! Too many friends I've missed, too much reading and too many amazing nights out to be had. The one I'm looking forward to the most is on New Years Eve and we're going to see Ferry Corsten at Brixton Academy. Ferry blew me away the four times I saw him this year and I'm expecting nothing different on the 31st. Obviously I'm excited for Christmas and my birthday between now and then too =)

Thanks to all you guys who take the time to read this and pester me to update it more often (I will someday be a good blogger).

1 comment:

pokersmith2 said...

Welcome back to blogs ! Glad you're enjoying Uni.