Monday 1 August 2011

Has it been 7 months already?

In keeping with my usual fashion, I’m terribly sorry for being the world’s worst blogger (I think my last 5 or 6 blog entries have begun with an apology of this kind). It means a lot that you guys take the time out of your day to read about my life and I’m sorry that I’m too lazy to update on a regular basis.

The good news is that I’ve been far too busy having the best summer of my life to date since I last blogged. In March/April/May poker went really well, I won a live £400 tournament for £15k at the International, and I cashed for about $33k in the Spring Championship of Online Poker on Pokerstars, including a $20k score in the $109 Turbo and as well as a few close misses; 12th in the $215 6 max on a Sunday and 32nd in one of the $1k Turbos; all in all a very good few months and one of my best years to date so far. In the middle of June I went to Las Vegas for 5 weeks for the World Series of Poker, and despite having a horrid first 3 weeks poker-wise, I recovered by cashing for $18k in the $1500 event #54 (32nd place) and $40k in the Main Event (278th place) for about a breakeven trip after expenses. Obviously I didn’t have much of my own action in the world series events since I’m not bankrolled for them, but it still ended up as two very nice cashes for me.

Away from poker, I still intend to go to university in autumn. I’ve accepted a place at the University of Hull to study Philosophy and Politics starting on September 26th (1 day after the WCOOP ends!). I’m really excited for this new beginning and I’m really planning on making it count this time. Poker has been a great living for the last two and a half years and it may still be my future but I’m really looking forward to learning other things and giving myself the option of doing something else.

Part of the reason this has been such a great summer has been the amazing parties going on in the last few months. In that time I’ve seen (to name only a few); Deadmau5, Markus Schulz doing a 7 hour set, Carl Cox and Adam Beyer tear up Fabric and Gabriel & Dresden make their glorious return to the Gallery. On top of those great nights I managed to get to two music festivals; the 3 day Electric Daisy Carnival in Las Vegas and Global Gathering in Stratford upon Avon. Both of them were fantastic weekends with the absolute best in electronic music. Over the two festivals I saw Swedish House Mafia, Above & Beyond (twice!), Ferry Corsten, Richie Hawtin, Andy C and Wolfgang Gartner. I probably saw about 35 different sets over the two festivals and at the moment my favourite was Gareth Emery’s set on the Group Therapy stage on Friday night at Global, I’ll still be having dreams about that one for months.

As well as those dreams, the next few months will be pretty busy too. It seems that there is a great club night at Ministry or Fabric every week in August, SW4 festival in Clapham Common on the bank holiday weekend, a trip to France to visit my Gran and I’m still trying to squeeze in a trip to Edinburgh for a bit of comedy sometime in the next few weeks, all while trying to get enough poker in that I can take my first few months of uni off and still be Supernova in January. As soon as all that jazz is over, the World Championship of Online poker starts in September, and then I’ll be off to Hull to start my new life. Thank you very much for sticking with me through this, I will try and be a better blogger in future xxx

1 comment:

Kader said...

Sounds like a heck of a time, whatever the case is I hope you'll make it out to Vegas next year :-)