Sunday 1 February 2009

Live poker ahoy

Today is the first sunday i've taken off online poker in about 6 months. No mtts, no volume, no mirrion. Superbowl sunday seems reason enough to take the day off, plus Ed final tabled the £300 at the International (and I have 10% of him) so I'll go down and sweat him/play some deep £1/2 PLO then watch the superbowl there with my brother.

All this live poker madness started on thursday when after blasting about 11 mtts, I decided to cut my session short and head to the Vic to play some cash. After about 3 hours there and still being within £50 of my original buyin at all times, I decided to move on to the gutshot where the PLO games can get fairly big on a thursday. Oh boy was I right! After about 6 hours of standard 200bb PLO, we'd somehow managed to get about £7k on the table, and then Chen showed up, immediately losing 2 1K buyins to pump the money up to around £9k, specifically in one hand against me (sorry for live hand history):

This was Chen's exact first hand in which he straddles for £5. I opened for £18 UTG with ATJ8hhxx. Folds around to chen who calls.

Flop (£44): Jh5s7s
Chen: Bet £40
Hero: Call £40

Turn (£124) 7h
Chen: Bet £120
Joe: Call £120

River (£364) Qh
Chen: Check
Joe: Bet £225
Chen: Raise All-in (after a very long dwell)
Joe: Call (after longer dwell)

Chen tabled something along the lines of AKQT for a big bluff and I took down a 1000bb pot. I don't especially want to go into my thought process of why I played certain streets the way I did (namely 4th and 5th) as I play a lot with Chen and I think it would be harmful to both of us for me to post the reasons online, but basically, it feels great to make a huge hero call and be right.

I left that game after about 17 hours and went home to get some sleep (after phoning Mike to tell him he should go down and play) for the £300 freezeout the next day. Long story short, I busto'd it pretty quick. Got fairly well outplayed in one hand, and then eventually busting for my last 5k (25bbs) with JThh on a 972xcc board in which I was actually beating 45cc lol. Since there were 2 guys I had percentages with still in the tournament, I decided to stay for a few hours, and won about £460 playing cash anyway.

So yeah, this weekend reminded me how much I love playing live poker (when im running good). Im about to head back down to sweat Ed, play some PLO, watch the Liverpool/Cheslea game, crossbook Marcus in the £30 freezeout that im putting my brother in then watch the superbowl. Have a great superbowl sunday everyone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

not enough blogging joe