Friday 12 December 2008

Back in London, back at the Shot

Blah, just woke up after a I received a horrible text after 4 hours of sleep and couldn't roll back. You know who you are and my lord you'll pay.

Last nights action at the International great, I ended up playing the £55 tournament because there were no Omaha games going at 7:30; in which I came 3rd for £435. It was very tilting not to win, but at 5 handed play we all had <10 bbs so I guess I ran about standard. Afterwards I played £1/2 PLO and won about a buyin, making me winning about £600 for the night which was cool. It was almost all on the hand I want to talk about (please bear with my live HH, i'll try and make it as clear as possible).

I'm in the sb with K6JTddxx and 2 players limp, and I complete and the bb checks. We're all at least 200bbs deep. (£8)

Flop; 9s Jh 4d
I bet £8, bb calls, 2 folds. Probably a spot for me to check fold, but I thought my hand might have been good enough to win there. (£24)

Turn; 3d
I bet £21, bb raises to £63, I raise to £221, bb calls (leaving about £200 behind).

River; 9h
I move in for the effective £200ish, bb folds

Obviously the turn is a thin semi bluff, but considering the player I thought it was pretty decent. He was a decent thinking player (who may have been on slight calling mode due to him being losing slightly and at the end of the night, but he had a decent stack I felt he wouldn't want to get in too light). His line really made no sense, its highly unlikely that if he had a set which wasn't JJ then he wouldn't call then raise the turn, and even if he did then he was likely to fold to my threeb. One of the hands that made sense was was a wrap that picked up a flushdraw, but I felt he was a good enough player to jam KQTx on the flop, so he'd probably fold a lot of bad wraps to me on the turn.

Ed and I discussed the river, and in our 5AM drivel discussion decided that check/snapping the river would have been the sickest line ever. At the time it seemed like shoving would fold ties, AJ, maybe 33/44 if he was horribly spewy. I miss the opportunity to pick off a buyin sized bluff, but it would have been a horrible crying call.

So yeah, any feedback on the hand would be really neat, i've tried to formulate my thoughts as well as possibly, but doubtlessly i've missed something important lol.

I'll hopefully be playing a lot online/live in the next few weeks so i'll be able to blog regularly

Still miss people in Leicester loads, hopefully i'll see you all soon.

1 comment:

kecheng said...

I think a lot of the time, given that he calls your 3b on turn, he has a hand that contains the nut flush draw with something else, which is usually something like AJxxdd, AQQxdd, which probably won't make the crying call on the river.

So I think the river bluff is good, especially as you've represented JJ all the way. The turn semi-bluff 3 bet is only good if you follow through on river, (unless you had better showdown value, like with AAxxdd or something, in which case there's a lot less value to bluffing river)

I really hate check/calling the river, just because he's a thinking player and he probably realises that the under-half pot bluff after his hand looks like a draw is just a terrible spot to bluff. He'll also knuckle behind all those hands he probably would've folded to your shove.

The chance of picking up the £450+ pot by shoving when you're behind far outweighs the £200 you could possibly get by check/calling.